Adapted from Joy McCarthy’s Raw Carrot Cake Balls
Ever wonder what to do with the pulp after juicing? Here’s a great recipe that will act as a snack and give you energy.
Makes 20-25 balls
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- ¾ cup raw nuts (ie walnuts)
- 1 cup of left over pulp from juicing (ie carrots, kale, apple) or 1 cup of grated carrots (about 3-4 medium carrots)
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup raw unpasteurized honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmed
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- ¼ cup vegetarian vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Water or coconut milk as needed for moist ball rolling consistency
Reserve ¼ cup shredded coconut on a plate to role and coat the balls later.
Place all of the ingredients in a food processor or good quality blender (like a Vita-Aid, Blendtech or Nutri-Bullet). Start blending and add water or a milk alternative to create that moist consistency allowing you to role the mixture into balls in case it’s too dry. Roll 1 -1.5 inch diameter balls and coat with shredded coconut.
Transfer to a container and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. They can also be preserved frozen for a few months. Enjoy this delicious high fiber and protein snack between meals or after a workout.